A superb first-half performance from Dewsbury Rams laid the platform for a comfortable victory away at Rochdale Hornets.
The Rams raced over for six unanswered first-half tries to establish a 32-0 lead at the interval.
They added one more during a more even second period.
Dale Morton opened the scoring, before James Glover crossed.
Braces from Rob Worrincy and Aaron Brown stretched out the advantage before the interval, and Paul Sykes added four conversions.
Josh Guzdek crossed just shy of the hour, and Sykes converted, but Rochdale hit back four minutes later through Luke Adamson’s converted try.
Re-live the action courtesy of updates from the Rams’ Twitter feed:
- 01′ We’re up and running here at the Crown Oil Arena. Rams attacking towards the seated end, left to right in front of us, in the first half.
- 02′ Fantastic break from Glover down the right wing lays the platform for a Rams attack, and Knowles’ kick forces a drop-out. Repeat set to come.
- 02′ Guzdek brings the ball away after Rochdale complete their set.
- 03′ Sykes finds Worrincy in space on the right wing, and he steps his way over, but play is brought back for a forward pass.
- 04′ Palfrey’s attempted 40-20 trickles dead and after some deliberation the Rams are awarded a tap 20.
- 06′ Rams finish the set deep in Rochdale’s half. Solid start from both sides so far.
- 07′ Hornets complete once again and Palfrey’s kick pegs Dewsbury back on their ten.
- 08′ First penalty of the evening goes Dewsbury’s way for interference at the play the ball.
- 09′ The Rams are in! Sykes’ superb cross-field kick is claimed above his head by Morton, who dots down out wide.
- 11′ Enthusiastic defence from Rochdale forces Dewsbury to kick from deep. Rochdale regather on their 40.
- 12′ Rochdale knock on 40 from the Rams line, but now Dewsbury spill possession at the the play the ball. Hornets scrum on half way.
- 14′ RAMS TRY! Now Rochdale knock on, and Glover is the quickest to react. He shows great pace and strength to hold off the cover and score next to the posts. A touch of fortune, but great opportunism from Glover!
- 17′ We’re in again! Ward with an audacious ball steal following the kick, and on the next play Worrincy backs himself to score!
- 18′ Sykes adds the goal. We’ve a good cushion as we approach the 20-minute mark.
- 20′ Rams playing with real confidence! Brutal defensive work forces the error and we’ll have the scrum 40 from Rochdale’s line.
- 21′ Crowther is caught high and we have the penalty. A little bit of afters and the Rams have the penalty. We’re running it.
- 22′ Rochdale penalty. Lifting in the tackle.
- 22′ Sykes’ flat ball goes to ground and Hornets have the scrum ten from their line.
- 23′ Great high take from Guzdek as Rochdale apply the pressure.
- 25′ Rams have the penalty for a high tackle. Everett, English and Speakman on for Teanby, Sheriffe and Ward. Middlehurst is sin-binned for the high tackle.
- 27′ The Rams are in! Speakman’s short ball sends Brown over. Clinical stuff from Kelly’s men.
- 28′ Everett knocks on under pressure at the play the ball. Rochdale scrum 35 from Dewsbury’s line. A chance for the hosts to respond and some defensive work for us to do!
- 28′ Sykes adds the goal from out on the left.
- 29′ Tap 20. A cross-field kick is palmed dead as Worrincy rises to defend. Walshaw is on for Crowther.
- 30′ Worrincy returns a Rochdale kick with interest and the Rams are on the attack, but as we spread the ball the pass falls into Hornets hands. And now the hosts have the penalty.
- 36′ Worrincy tested again by the kick, and Rochdale knock on as they attempt to gather. Rams tap 20.
- 37′ Rams have the penalty for offside at marker. We’re 40 out and we run it.
- 37′ SUPERB RAMS TRY! Glover and Guzdek lay the platform, and Speakman produces an excellent grubber for the onrushing Brown to grab his second.
- 38′ Sykes adds a simple goal.
- 39′ English doing all sorts of damage down the middle and wins the penalty. But we fluff our lines on the first play and we’re penalised for obstruction.
- 39′ Rochdale chance their arm on the right and the ball is put down. Rams scrum 10 from their line.
- 40′ Rochdale have the scrum. Referee rules a Rams hand on the ball.
- 40′ Sykes’ attempt at goal bounces back off the post as the hooter sounds.
- 40′ WHAT A TRY!!! Rochdale pepper Worrincy’s wing again, and they regret it. The winger gathers, beats two defenders, and races the full length!
- 40′ That’s half-time. 0-32.
- 42′ Rams showing good defence so far. Rochdale have a penalty deep in Dewsbury’s half.
- 45′ Rochdale have started the second half strong. However a kick through doesn’t come off and Rams gain possession.
- 47′ Rochdale knock on so the Rams gain possession deep in their own half.
- 50′ Rams showing some real grit and determination in defence. Not leaving Rochdale any space to work in.
- 53′ Rams broke well with a quick attack however Knowles poor pass means Rochdale collect the ball with ease..
- 57′ Rochdale knock on from a kick means it’s Dewsbury’s ball deep in their own half.
- 58′ WHAT A TRY Sykes with a wonderful pass to Guzdek who made sure he got the ball over the whitewash.
- 62′ A good move from the Hornets who penetrated the Rams defence for the first time tonight. Adamson scores against his former side.
- 67′ Worrincy knock on gives Rochdale the ball in a dangerous area. So far the Rams are coping well.
- 72′ Hornets putting real pressure on the Rams defence now which so far is staying strong.
- 76′ Worrincy taken a hard hit there and looks hurt. However he’s shown real spirit to get up and now looks OK.
- 80′ It’s all over and the Rams record a comfortable victory. 6-38.